President Barack Obama has made it clear how "healthcare consumers would be treated better by insurance companies if reform efforts pass." To-wit:
1) Insurance companies would be prohibited from refusing you coverage because of your medical history – “pre-existing conditions.”
2) Insurance companies would be barred from dropping or watering down insurance coverage for those who become ill.
3) Insurance companies will no longer be able to charge exorbitant out-of pocket expenses.
4) Insurance companies cannot impose lifetime or annual caps on coverage.
5) Insurance companies will be "required to renew any policy as long as the policyholder pays their premium in full."
6) Insurance companies "must fully cover, without charge, regular checkups and tests that help you prevent illness, such as mammograms or eye and foot exams for diabetics."
SOURCE: The Progress Report, Center for American Progress, 3 August 2009: LINK