8.09.2010

Geospatially challenged

Word comes in the wee, small hours that there is another crack in the so-called “glass ceiling.” The woman who writes this blog is left scratching her head.

Letitia “Tish” Long has been named as the first woman to head a U.S. intelligence agency. So, WTG, Tish!

She has been named “director of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), the office responsible for collecting and analyzing overhead imagery and geospatial information.”

I don’t even know what this means!

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-California), chairwoman of the Intelligence Committee, calls this “a spy agency with a multi-billion dollar budget and thousands of employees.” (LINK)

I swear I’ve never heard of this agency. I realize I’m still trying to figure out how people view Web sites on I-phones, but am I just totally out of it here?

Geospatial information? Is that what Jody Foster was gathering in the movie “Contact”?

I’m counting on DemWit readers to help me out. I used to claim bragging rights because I could program my VCR. Remember VCRs?

Quite impressive, Tish!

2 comments:

Nance said...

Her group analyzes the photos from the spy satellites. Tish figures out if there are any WMDs on Dick Cheney's land or at the tea party rally. She's the new Eye In The Sky.

Frodo's Game Show said...

Geospatial? Now, wouldn't that suggest that one measures distance or magnitude of some sort? Frodo presupposes that the function of the Agency is to provide input on exactly what Sarah Palin is able to see from her back porch.

"Survey says. . ."